Meeting Minutes September 2016

Minutes of BOS Committee Meeting
Held on Monday 5th September 2016 at 5.15 pm,
12 Market Place, Saxmundham

Apologies: Miles Beasley

Present: Peter Ewart (Chair), Shelley Nott (Vice-chair), Carl Page (Treasurer), Lin Barnes (Secretary), Jake Barton (Communications & Marketing)

Minutes: The minutes of the previous meeting were read and approved.

Arising from Minutes

  • Phase II Painting of the High Street – Sax T.C. are using the available workforce at the moment so this will not start until at least Spring 2017. Peter to get confirmation in writing from S.T.C. and we will send on to Will Gibson (SCDC) to request money is kept until workforce available. Action: Peter to obtain letter, Lin to send to SCDC 
  • Community Bid to Purchase The White Hart – Carl attended the public meeting which was held in the Market Hall. There was good attendance and public support for this project, however, nothing has been heard since and it is believed that this has not gathered momentum due to the large financial cost of the project.
  • Member Profiling – Alyson Tipping of SCB attended the meeting and briefly went through her proposal to attract new members, find out what existing members want, and what would re-attract lapsed members. It was agreed that this is a piece of work that SCB should take on, so BOS has agreed to participate but awaits buy-in from other associations. BoS has also agreed to produce some marketing material to increase awareness. Shelley was asked to come up with a design – What Can BoS Do For You? Action: Shelley to come up with suggestions of design.

Membership 
We currently have 39 paid members and 16 unpaid members (2 of which are committee members). Ensors will chase those who remain unpaid. Cash balance of £5,430 of which £3,000 is general reserve.
Carl would like to use Zero accounting to manage the BOS accounts, this would make invoice production and chasing more efficient, but comes at a cost of £9 per month. This was proposed and approved by the committee.

We have one new member since the last meeting: Squeezed Limes – Mr Richard Misters.

Customer Service Awards
Committee agreed the awards went well and that Bruisyard was an excellent venue.

Christmas Lights
Currently all lights are stored in the cellar at The Bell. Johnnie would like these moved as he now needs the space. It was agreed to sell all the blue LED lights and retain the white ones for use on 3/12/16.
An advert will be placed on BOS website, that these are for sale or would be given free of charge to any charity that may like them. Carl offered to store the white lights in Ensors’ loft.
Action: Jake to place ad on website, Peter & Carl to liaise with Johnnie when buyer is found.

Autumn Network Meeting
Next networking meeting will be held on Friday 14th October 2016 at Post Office Counters, 48a High Street, Saxmundham, at 5.30 pm. All members will be invited, after the meeting members will move to The Bell for drink and networking.

Christmas Lights Switch On
Planning has started on the Lantern Procession from the Church to Fromus Square, with carols and the Leiston Band. It was agreed that we need to find another power source as the generator drowned out the carols last year. It was also agreed that those who purchase tickets in advance for Santa’s Grotto should have priority in queue. Hot food was also suggested and agreed.

We will need more volunteers than last year, for the crossing from the Church and to move the crowds back on the High Street when the switch on takes place. This will be slightly later this year so that switch on takes place in the dark. Banner was also suggested to be hung on White Hart railings advertising BoS’ involvement. Alison suggested there may be funding from Small Business Saturday – Sonia Lambert would be the contact.

A.O.B

  • The summer event (including the mention that Waitrose were a great sponsor) needs to be listed on the website. Tish will hopefully put up photos etc.
  • Need to start thinking of a succession plan after Peter and Shelley cease from next February 2017.

Meeting closed at 6.30 p.m.

DATE OF NEXT MEETING: Friday 14th OCTOBER 2016